Trump Orders Major Cut In US-South Korea Military Drills, Citing Kim Jong Un Ties

For decades, the military exercises involving the United States and South Korea have carried a message that needed little explanation: if North Korea attacks, the two allies will be ready.

Trump Orders Major Cut In US-South Korea Military Drills, Citing Kim Jong Un Ties

This week, however, that message has been deliberately softened.

US President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” joint military exercises with South Korea, just as the allies were preparing to begin their annual Ulchi Freedom Shield drills. Trump said the exercises were expensive and sent an unnecessarily hostile signal to North Korea, pointing to what he described as his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

The decision has immediately reopened an old and uncomfortable question for Washington and Seoul: Can reducing military pressure on Pyongyang create room for diplomacy without creating a dangerous gap in military readiness?

For South Korea, the answer is far from simple.

Trump Chooses Diplomacy — And Sends Seoul A Complicated Message

Trump’s announcement came on Sunday, only hours before the scheduled start of the latest US-South Korean exercise.

The president said it was already too late to cancel the drills completely, but instructed US Secretary of War Pete Hegseth to significantly scale them back.

Trump gave several reasons.

He complained about the financial burden of the exercises on the United States and argued that the manoeuvres were inappropriate because North Korea had been, in his view, relatively restrained toward Washington during his presidency.

But the most striking part of his argument was personal.

Trump pointed directly to his relationship with Kim Jong Un, reviving the extraordinary diplomacy that characterised his first presidency.

The two leaders held a series of high-profile meetings beginning in 2018, culminating in Trump becoming the first sitting US president to step into North Korea in 2019.

That diplomacy eventually collapsed without producing a deal to dismantle North Korea’s nuclear weapons programme. Now, Trump appears to be signalling that he is willing to revisit the same strategy.

And that is where things become complicated.

North Korea is not the same country Trump encountered in 2018.

Its nuclear and missile capabilities have expanded, while its military relationship with Russia has deepened. North Korean troops have also been deployed to support Russia’s war in Ukraine, a development US and South Korean military officials have been watching closely.

Then There Is Iran

Trump’s announcement was not solely about North Korea.

In the same social media post, he revealed his frustration with South Korea over another issue thousands of kilometres away: Iran.

Trump said he had asked South Korean President Lee Jae Myung whether Seoul wanted to join US efforts to denuclearise Iran.

According to Trump, South Korea declined.

The reference appears to have become part of the broader dispute over how much America’s allies should contribute to US foreign-policy and military objectives.

For Seoul, however, North Korea remains the immediate security concern.

South Korea has therefore been careful not to publicly escalate the disagreement. Its presidential office said it was reviewing Trump’s comments while stressing that Washington and Seoul would continue consultations on defence cooperation.

The Drills Were Supposed To Send The Opposite Message

The Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise is not simply a military show.

It is designed to test how the US and South Korean forces would respond to a major conflict on the Korean Peninsula.

This year’s exercise was planned as an 11-day event, with about 18,000 South Korean troops participating. US and South Korean military officials had previously described the training as part of maintaining the alliance’s combined defence posture.

That makes Trump’s decision particularly striking.

Only days earlier, military officials had been discussing North Korea’s evolving capabilities and the lessons being learned from its military cooperation with Russia.

North Korea, meanwhile, has continued testing ballistic missiles despite international prohibitions and has repeatedly condemned US-South Korean exercises as preparations for an invasion.

So while Washington says the drills are provocative, Pyongyang has long argued that their very existence proves hostile intentions.

The irony is obvious: the same exercises that Washington and Seoul regard as preparation for war are viewed by Pyongyang as evidence that war is being prepared against it.

Seoul Sees An Opportunity — But Also A Risk

There is one reason some South Koreans may welcome Trump’s decision.

President Lee has been pushing for improved relations with North Korea and has called for dialogue with Pyongyang. Seoul has expressed hope that Trump’s renewed interest in engagement with Kim could eventually create space for meaningful negotiations.

But there is another side.

Military analysts warn that reducing exercises could weaken the very readiness that makes diplomacy possible from a position of strength.

Leif-Eric Easley, a professor at Ewha University in Seoul, argued that the combined drills are essential to ensuring the two militaries can operate effectively together during a crisis.

He warned that scaling them back could damage coordination, slow South Korea’s assumption of greater responsibility for its own defence and weaken deterrence.

His argument is blunt: the financial savings may be relatively small compared with the potential strategic cost.

Trump Has Done This Before

This is not Trump’s first attempt to use military exercises as a diplomatic bargaining chip.

During his first presidency, he suspended major US-South Korean exercises following his meetings with Kim, describing them as provocative and expensive.

The exercises were later scaled back again during the COVID-19 pandemic.

But today’s circumstances are markedly different.

North Korea has expanded its nuclear arsenal, strengthened its relationship with Russia and gained military experience through its involvement in the Ukraine war.

That raises a difficult question for Washington: Does reducing military exercises encourage Kim to return to negotiations — or simply convince him that the pressure on North Korea is weakening?

So far, Pyongyang has offered no public response to Trump’s latest move.

A Decision That Reaches Far Beyond Seoul And Pyongyang

The significance of Trump’s announcement extends beyond the Korean Peninsula.

South Korea hosts about 28,500 US troops, making the American military presence there one of Washington’s most important commitments in Asia.

For Seoul, those troops are not merely another foreign deployment. They are a central pillar of its security architecture.

For Trump, however, the arrangement has long been part of a broader question about whether US allies contribute enough to the defence burden.

That tension has repeatedly complicated the relationship between Washington and Seoul.

Did You Miss? Osun 2026: 5 Viral Moments From The Election That Got Everyone Talking

South Korea has attempted to strengthen its economic ties with the United States, including a commitment to major US investment, but disagreements over defence contributions and foreign-policy priorities remain.

And now the relationship has another variable: Trump’s personal diplomacy with Kim Jong Un.

The Bigger Gamble

Trump’s strategy is built around an intriguing proposition: perhaps North Korea can be persuaded through direct diplomacy rather than confronted through increasingly large military exercises.

It is a strategy Trump has tried before.

But this time, Kim has more weapons, stronger ties with Moscow and a very different strategic environment.

For South Korea, meanwhile, the calculation is even more delicate. Seoul wants dialogue with the North, but it also needs to know that if diplomacy fails, its alliance with Washington remains militarily credible.

That is the tension at the heart of Trump’s latest decision.

The exercises may be smaller. The message, however, is much bigger.

Trump is betting that less military pressure could open the door to Kim Jong Un.

His critics fear that it could instead close the door to deterrence.

And somewhere between those two possibilities lies the future of one of the world’s most heavily militarised and potentially explosive regions.

Please Do Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top