The freedom of the former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, after days of grilling by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is one of the shortest you can imagine in recent years. On Wednesday he walked out of the office of the EFCC only to be taken into custody again. This time by operatives of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).

Sources within the EFCC confirmed that El-Rufai was released late Wednesday but was immediately re-arrested by ICPC officials.
He had reported to the EFCC headquarters in Abuja around 10 a.m. on Monday and remained in detention until his release.
When contacted, his lawyer, A.U. Mustapha (SAN), declined to comment on the development, stating briefly that it was too late to speak and suggesting discussions continue the following day.
Federal Government Files Criminal Charges
Meanwhile, fresh legal troubles loom for the former governor as the Federal Government has filed a three-count charge against him at the Federal High Court in Abuja.
The case, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026, centers on allegations of unlawful interception of the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.
The charges were instituted under the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024, and the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.
Prosecutors allege that El-Rufai admitted that an associate illegally intercepted Ribadu’s phone conversations and that he personally listened to them.
The alleged admission was said to have occurred on February 13, 2026, during an interview on Prime Time. This is a programme aired by Arise TV in Abuja.
According to court documents, the first count accuses El-Rufai of admitting to unlawful interception of private communications, an offence punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes Act.
The second count alleges that he failed to report the individual responsible for the interception, contrary to Section 27(b) of the same law.
The third charge claims that he and others still at large deployed technical equipment in Abuja in 2026 to intercept the NSA’s communications. According to the charge, this violates Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act.
During the television interview, El-Rufai had stated: “Ribadu made the call because we listened to their calls.
The government thinks that they are the only ones who listen to calls. But we also have our ways.”
DSS Probe And Dadiyata Case Reopened
In a related development, the Department of State Services (DSS) is reportedly preparing for El-Rufai’s arraignment. Also, they are intensifying parallel investigations.
This includes reopening inquiries into the 2019 disappearance of Abubakar Idris, popularly known as Dadiyata.
Dadiyata is a lecturer at the Federal University Dutsinma in Katsina State,. He was declared missing on August 1, 2019, after gunmen allegedly abducted him from his Kaduna residence.
His whereabouts remain unknown.
Security sources disclosed that the DSS recently confiscated El-Rufai’s passport at Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport to prevent him from traveling abroad.
Investigators are also said to be scrutinising past social media posts by his sons, Bello and Bashir. These are particularly those made around the time of Dadiyata’s disappearance.
According to a source, El-Rufai had previously claimed he did not know Dadiyata before the disappearance. However, certain online posts by his sons may suggest otherwise.
Authorities are expected to invite them to assist with the ongoing investigation.
Also Read: ‘If I Have Sinned Against You, Forgive Me’ – Tinubu Begs Nigerians
Now, multiple agencies now involved and formal charges filed. The former governor faces mounting legal scrutiny in what could become one of the most high-profile political cases.
