The Department of State Services (DSS) has initiated criminal proceedings against former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, over allegations bordering on cybercrime and threats to national security.

According to court filings, El-Rufai is scheduled to be arraigned on February 25 before the Federal High Court in Abuja.
The case was assigned to Justice Joyce Abdulmalik by the Chief Judge of the court, Justice John Tsoho.
Charges Against El-Rufai
The three-count charge, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026, accuses the former governor of unlawfully intercepting telephone communications belonging to the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.
Prosecutors allege that during a February 13 appearance on Arise TV’s Prime Time programme in Abuja, El-Rufai acknowledged that he and certain associates intercepted the NSA’s phone conversations.
The DSS contends that this action contravenes Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
More Allegations
In a second count, the security agency claims El-Rufai admitted knowing an individual involved in the alleged interception but failed to notify the appropriate authorities.
This allegation is said to violate Section 27(b) of the same Act.
The third charge accuses El-Rufai and unnamed collaborators of deploying technical devices in Abuja in 2026 to unlawfully access the NSA’s communications, an act the DSS says undermined public safety and national security.
This count references Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.
The Confession
During the televised interview, El-Rufai had claimed he overheard Ribadu instructing security personnel to arrest him.
He connected the alleged directive to what he described as an attempted detention at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport on February 12, shortly after returning from Cairo, Egypt.
The charges emerge amid mounting legal challenges for the former governor. He was previously detained by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over corruption allegations.
Although he was granted administrative bail late Wednesday evening, he was subsequently taken into custody by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).
Also Read: From Viral Cruise to Courtroom Drama: How Social Media Can Ruin Your Life
Confirming the development, ICPC spokesperson John Odey stated in a message shared with journalists that El-Rufai remains in the commission’s custody as investigations continue.
